Are you ready to rumble?
I think everyone knows how successful the Nintendo Wii has been and along with it Wii Sports. I don't know how many stories I've read in the paper about senior citizens playing Wii Sports Bowling at senior centers all across the USA.
Since Wii Sports was released we have seen numerous third party games released that focus on just one element of the Wii Sports phenomenon. Some of these games have been very good while others were just trying to copy what already existed with very little improvement.
The one sports game with the most promise for a third party update has to be boxing. Holding a Wii remote in one hand and a nunchuk in the other makes for an excellent boxing game control scheme. Atari is preparing to accept the challenge of creating a boxing title that you will want to play. What game am I talking about? Ready 2 Rumble Revolution of course!
- A roster of 18 wildly caricatured cartoony boxers, all parodies of celebrities from the worlds of sports, music and movies who enter the ring as larger-than-life "Rumble-ized" versions of themselves. Players will step right up and see if they can knock these super-sized egos down a peg or two!
- Hosted by "The Voice of the Champions" Michael Buffer, famous for his "Let's Get Ready to Rumble" trademark call.
- Characters are brought to life with hilarious moves, detailed facial animations, damage textures and fighting techniques including special moves, combos, extreme knockdowns and special "Rumble" combos.
- An all new Championship Mode lets gamers create their own unique boxer and nurture his skills through mini-games, developing him as a fighter and creating a completely personalized Ready 2 Rumble Revolution experience.
- Delivers a fun and intuitive experience in either single player or multiplayer mode.
- The Wii controllers provide would-be pugilists with an intuitive and realistic feel. Using the Nunchuk controller as one glove and the Wii Remote controller as the other, players dodge, weave and throw the big punches to KO their opponents.
I have watched a few of the videos of the game play and I have to say that I am excited about this game. I have fond memories of getting destroyed by Mike Tyson on my NES back in the 80's. I also have fond memories of the day one of my friends finally took the champ down! The only thing missing from Mike Tyson's Punch Out was that you could not play as any character other than little Mac. All those great caricature characters were unplayable.
When Ready 2 Rumble Revolution comes out for the Wii in March of 2009 we will have a boxing game on the Wii to be proud of. Looking at the characters released to the viewing public so far I have to say that I just know this game is designed for people who want to have fun when they play a boxing game. One of the characters is an Elvis impersonator, how cool is that?
Oh yes, this is on my want list.